Monday, September 2, 2013

Getting ready for Jerseyfest- Luna Diver Sting Ray - part 1.


So, I'll be demonstrating how I weather space vehicles based on what I've picked up by studying photos of Kow's space builds and Lincoln's 2011 step by step painting of his Wave Superball.

The build

Fairly easy, the kit went together in about 5-7 hours. This is my first 1/35th build and I actually enjoyed it! I've got the 1/20 LD, but I'm saving it for when I have more room and come up with a brilliant paint scheme.



Priming

As Lincoln advises, I used a semi- gloss Tamiya rattle can. The panel lines on the kit aren't deep and the Army Painters primer black I usually use I feared might obscure the details. So, when priming this guy I suggest using a fine primer or gloss paint.


I hit the kit with a dusting of Tamiya fine White primer so to have a bit of a base for the light colours I'll be using.


Lacquer paint- panel lines and details

I start by hitting the panel lines with Mr Metal where I might want chips and scuffs to be. 




Lacquer paint - under tone
For a yellow undertone, I use Tamiya Desert Tan in area. This will help later with surface variation.


Lacquer paint- white
From the center of the panel or area I'm working, I move toward the edge of the dark panel lines. I will repeat this until I've filled in a and built up the surface's colour.




Now, after 3-4 passes. I'll continue to do this thinning out the white each time until I'm happy with the surfaces consistency.


Ma.K Gaia notes and Tamiya help finish the job.


I use oil paints to blend the surface together and add some discoloration.